11/05/2010

Washing the dishes

 
Washing the dishes
is like bathing a baby Buddha.
The profane is the sacred.
Everyday mind is Buddha's mind.

~Thich Nhat Hanh





To my mind, the idea that doing the dishes is unpleasant can occur only when you are not doing them. Once you are standing in front of the sink with your sleeves rolled up and your hands in warm water, it really is not so bad. I enjoy taking my time with each dish, being fully aware of the dish, the water, and each movement of my hands. I know that if I hurry in order to go and have a cup of tea, the time will be unpleasant and not worth living. That would be a pity, for each minute, each second of life is a miracle. The dishes themselves and the fact that I am here washing them are miracles! Each bowl I wash, each poem I compose, each time I invite a bell to sound is a miracle, each has exactly the same value. One day, while washing a bowl, I felt that my movements were as sacred and respectful as bathing a newborn Buddha. If he were to read this, that newborn Buddha would certainly be happy for me, and not at all insulted at being compared with a bowl. ~Thich Nhat Hanh

6 comments:

PJ van Zyl said...

awesome reflection. enjoy the weekend

Anonymous said...

You’re welcome to wash our dishes anytime.
I enjoyed this post very much. Thanks for this.

All the best, Boonie

Life Is A Road Trip said...

I wish I could share this person's enthusiasm for washing dishes, but I can definitely get excited about your reflection photo!

Mystic Meandering said...

Ah - that all men should feel this way! Then dishes and toilet bowls would be mens work :) LOL

I too love your rock and reflection picture! Exquisite! Christine

Laura said...

sI love this. Thank you. Now if I can remember to be this tender when washing my own body in the bath...then I will know I fully understand this sweet teaching.

Cherry said...

great reflections and awesome thoughts! - Cher